Medical Assistant - Phlebotomy Licensed
The medical assistant reports the nurse manager and help patients by providing information, services, and assistance. Other duties include securing medical records; maintaining medical supplies inventory; performing preventive maintenance to keep equipment operating.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
- Verifies patient information by interviewing patient; recording medical history; confirming purpose of visit.
- Prepares patients for examination by performing preliminary physical tests; taking blood pressure, weight, and temperature; reporting patient history summary or abnormal findings to providers.
- Prioritizes infection control practices; uses sterile technique as appropriate.
- Will be required to draw and collect blood samples from patients and prepare specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Prepare treatment rooms for examination of patients; ensures disinfection and cleanliness between patient visits.
- Secures patient information and maintains patient confidence by completing and safeguarding medical records; completing diagnostic coding and procedure coding; keeping patient information confidential.
- Reinforces physician's orders and answers questions regarding visit.
- Maintains safe, secure, positive attitude and healthy work environment by establishing and following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; requesting refills as needed; verifying receipt.
- Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; reporting need for repairs.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Enhances practice reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Assist with more complex procedures, such as HRA, (DXA) bone density scans.
- Maintains accurate and complete proper documentation for all patient encounters.
- Other duties may be assigned, as required.
- Requires a high school diploma
- Medical Assistant certificate or equivalent experience such as 2 years of experience in a related field.
- Ability to type 40+ wpm and have experience with healthcare software.
- Phlebotomy license.
- Experience in the HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C and chronic diseases care/ management preferred.
- Have the appropriate level of behavioral maturity and patience in handling patients.
- Have diplomacy and tact in handling difficult and irate patients.
- Ability to work effectively with men and transgender women of diverse races, ethnicities, ages, and sexual orientation in a multicultural environment.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test as well as a background check to include a 7-year criminal, 10-year SSN & employer history reference check as well as a pre-employment background check.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Must be able to work flexible schedules
- Must take yearly flu shot and test for tuberculosis as required by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.