Patient Benefits Specialist - South Central LA
Men’s Health Foundation connects men at risk to comprehensive healthcare and wellness through education, collaboration, and advocacy, inspiring and empowering all men to live longer, healthier and happier lives. We see a world where inequity and stigma do not separate men from healthcare.
Under the supervision of the Supportive Services Program Manager, the Patient Benefits Specialist will assist new and existing patients of MHF with enrollment in health benefits program and supportive services. Health benefits programs will include Medi-Cal, ADAP, PrEP-AP, Covered California health plans, Medicare, and provide health plans. The Specialists will also work with patients to ensure they meet program recertification requirements. This is a vital position at MHF, and we are seeking a focused, motivated candidate who can assist patients with a wide range of educational backgrounds in navigating the complex terrain of public and private health care coverage. The patient population includes individuals who are members of the LGBTQ community, persons of color, low-income, and/or living with mental health and/or substance abuse disorders. Applicants should be prepared to
This position is located at our clinic at 2700 Manchester Ave., Inglewood CA.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all the duties assigned.)
- Maintain current enrollment status for a caseload of up to 300 Medi-Cal patients (annual recertification) and up to 150 ADAP patients (twice annual recertification)
- Screen and assist MHF clients and patients in enrolling in health care benefits programs, including but not limited to ADAP, PrEP-AP, Medi-Cal, and Covered California, as well as MHF programs, including Ryan White funded care coordination and medical care
- Screen and assist MHF clients and patient in enrolling in food assistance programs, including Cal Fresh, Project Angel Food, and other programs as appropriate
- Screen patients for eligibility and need for MHF programs
- Track client applications and re-enrollment paperwork to ensure access to and retention in benefits programs
- Answer and respond to incoming telephone calls and emails regarding eligibility health coverage and other programs offered at MHF
- Maintain an extensive awareness of client resources, both agency-wide and community based.
- Distribute emergency food to clients in compliance with MFH policies and procedures
- Coordinate transportation to and from MHF for clients and patients in compliance with MFH policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent understanding of health care benefits programs in California, including Medi-Cal and ADAP
- Excellent communications skills (oral and written) and interpersonal skills for frequent contract with clients
- Bilingual English/Spanish required.
- This position is located in South Los Angeles and a substantial proportion of clients will speak only Spanish. Applicants will be required to demonstrate Spanish language ability during the interview.
- Able to use effectively MS Office Suite and All Scripts, MHF’s electronic health record.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; systems thinking
- Strong commitment to the Mission and Vision of Men’s Health Foundation
- Demonstrated ability to provide services to people of diverse races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, gender identities, nationalities, economic backgrounds, religions, ages, English-speaking abilities, immigration status, housing status, and physical abilities in a multicultural environment
- Must be able to work flexible schedules
- Must have skills in research and development of operating policies and procedures
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and a background check to include a 7-year criminal, 10-year SSN & employer history reference check
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail