Men’s Health Foundation connects men at risk to comprehensive healthcare and wellness through education, collaboration and advocacy, inspiring and empowering all men to live longer, healthier and happier lives. We see a world where inequity and stigma do not separate men from healthcare. At Men’s Health Foundation we are reimagining men’s healthcare.
The medical assistant reports the nurse manager and help patients by providing information, services, and assistance. Other duties include securing medical records; maintaining medical supplies inventory; performing preventive maintenance to keep equipment operating.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
- Verifies patient information by interviewing patient; recording medical history; confirming purpose of visit.
- Prepares patients for examination by performing preliminary physical tests; taking blood pressure, weight, and temperature; reporting patient history summary or abnormal findings to providers.
- Prioritizes infection control practices; uses sterile technique as appropriate.
- Will be required to draw and collect blood samples from patients and prepare specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Prepare treatment rooms for examination of patients; ensures disinfection and cleanliness between patient visits.
- Secures patient information and maintains patient confidence by completing and safeguarding medical records; completing diagnostic coding and procedure coding; keeping patient information confidential.
- Reinforces physician's orders and answers questions regarding visit.
- Maintains safe, secure, positive attitude and healthy work environment by establishing and following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; requesting refills as needed; verifying receipt.
- Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; reporting need for repairs.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Enhances practice reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Assist with more complex procedures, such as HRA, (DXA) bone density scans.
- Maintains accurate and complete proper documentation for all patient encounters.
- Other duties may be assigned, as required.
- Requires a high school diploma
- Medical Assistant certificate or equivalent experience such as 2 years of experience in a related field.
- Ability to type 40+ wpm and have experience with healthcare software.
- Phlebotomy license.
- Experience in the HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C and chronic diseases care/ management preferred.
- Have the appropriate level of behavioral maturity and patience in handling patients.
- Have diplomacy and tact in handling difficult and irate patients.
- Ability to work effectively with men and transgender women of diverse races, ethnicities, ages, and sexual orientation in a multicultural environment.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test as well as a background check to include a 7-year criminal, 10-year SSN & employer history reference check as well as a pre-employment background check.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Must be able to work flexible schedules and be able to work in different locations as required.
- Must take yearly flu shot and test for tuberculosis as required by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.